The Importance of Good Photography
Photography: the make or break of a website
Although it's often overlooked, photography is one of a website's most important components. Mediocre photos on a website instantly display a lack of care and quality. Wouldn't this imply that the rest of the website's content and services are substandard as well? Even if the site's content is of good value, a poor first impression is the quickest way to lose a potential client.
Use this list as a guideline for using photography on your website. No matter what size your budget is, photos are one of the most impactful elements on your site so don't scrimp.
Use a Professional Photographer Wherever Possible
- Theres a good chance using your iPhone can capture that great shoot. But a professional photographer really knows what they're doing and can bring it to another level
- Ask your designer to recommend a photographer to suit your budget
- Having custom-shot photos for your business is an investment in a unique asset
Do Your Own Photography
- while this option is a lot cheaper you mustn't sacrifice quality
- only use a quality camera and always shoot in the highest quality resolution
- utilise your designer and get the best out of your shots with some professional image editing
Use Stock Photo Libraries
- many good, well-priced photo libraries exist, even NZ ones, so use them if you're stuck
- avoid generic or posed compositions
- create your own unique images by having your designer combine photo library images
Some golden rules with photography
- Don't use clichés such as business people shaking hands or a generic ethnic mix of people
- Include people wherever possible - we relate to people emotionally in photos
- Be ruthless with image quality - if it's not good enough don't use it!
- Fewer strong photos are better than a multitude of substandard ones
- Look at photographic trends: large images, macros and big faces make an impression
If you have any questions about the photography on your site or feel it's time to freshen things up give us a call to discuss how we can help you.